In this issue:
- eResearch Australasia 2013 – 19 days to go!
- eResearch Australasia 2013 – Workshop registrations open now!
- RDSI at eResearch Australasia 2013
- CloudStor+ update
- AAF Tools and Services Workshop @ eResearch
- QCIF @ eResearch Australasia
- RDSI Stories
- CloudStor speed tuning
- CAUDIT & RDSI Vendor Panel Videos
- About this newsletter
eResearch Australasia 2013 – 19 days to go!
The countdown has begun for eResearch Australasia 2013, to be held on the 20th to 25th October at the Brisbane Convention and Exhibition Centre.
eResearch focuses on technological platforms that enhance the researchers’ ability to generate, collect, share, analyse, store and retrieve information.
This year’s Highlights will include:
- Panel: Research impact of eResearch infrastructure. What worked and what hasn’t. Chair: Dr Nick Tate; Participants: Prof Mark Ragan, Prof Deb Verhoeven, Prof Jeremy VanDerWal, Prof Graham Galloway and Prof Tom Cochrane. Your chance to ask those burning questions!
- Research Impact Day, Tuesday 22 will discuss how government funded investments on research infrastructure has supported researchers to achieve their research goals, and the success of those investments.
- ICT Day, Wednesday 23 will focus on how ICT can assist researchers and research support to achieve their goals.
- eResearch Solutions Showcase will focus on how researchers are using infrastructure funding and technological advancements to further their research.
- Three social events including a Welcome Reception, Poster Session and Conference Dinner;
- The lounge, meet your peers, sit for the self-paced AWS Labs done on your own laptop, you will have support from the AWS Solutions Architect if you get stuck, all at no cost to you. AWS Labs details to be announced shortly.
- Workshops follow the conference – Thursday 24 and Friday 25 November. See http://conference.eresearch.edu.au/eres2013/workshops-2013
For more information, please visit: http://conference.eresearch.edu.au/
For enquiries please email: email@example.com
eResearch Australasia 2013 – Workshop registrations open now!
Workshops are filling up fast, so don’t miss out on your chance to register. This year eResearch is proud to offer a series of interesting workshops covering a diverse range of topics:
Thursday 24 October 2013:
- ‘Big Data’ in Earth and Environmental Sciences: what are the real challenges?
- Image Analysis and Processing in the Clouds using Scalable eResearch Workflow-Based System
- AAF Tools and Services for the Masses
- RDSI – Accessible Research Data, made simple…(free entry – Sponsored by RDSI)
- AURIN Workshop
- Genomics Virtual Laboratory Workshop
- Connecting the DOIs: data citation from planning to reward
Friday 25 October 2013: Workshops
- OpenConext Workshop “Down Under”
- How to tell your story
To register for workshops, please visit:
RDSI at eResearch Australasia 2013
Come visit the RDSI booth later this month at eResearch Australasia 2013, 20 – 25 October. The RDSI team will be presenting demonstrations and discussing exciting project developments. Come and learn about the project and if you play your cards right, you may even walk away with a free gift!
Don’t forget to register for the RDSI workshop ‘Accessible Research Data, made simple’ which will run on Thursday 24th October.
We look forward to seeing you there.
To register for the RDSI workshop, please visit:
For more information on RDSI project, please visit: http://rdsi.uq.edu.au
Thank you to all our 500-plus CloudStor+ beta testers, that’s been great feedback! You’ve helped us straighten out the CloudStor+ beta service a whole lot; enough so that we believe we’re now ready for staged rollout. For this first staged rollout, USyd have kindly put up their hand; this ties in very well with contributions made by USyd into the AeRO User Support Project group, enabling the CloudStor+ service to be woven into the USyd support processes. Once the first stage of rollout at USyd has proven the product in an all-campus environment, we’ll be rolling out to further campuses. Expect more news come October!
For more information, visit:
AAF Tools and Services Workshop @ eResearch
Register to participate in the Australian Access Federation Tools and Services Workshop for the Masses. We will cover a wide range of topics, including the simpler way to add services to the federation as well as an unconference style discussion session. Read more here: http://tinyurl.com/lmfkyds
QCIF @ eResearch Australasia
QCIF through AeRO is proud to be a major sponsor of the eResearch Australasia 2013 conference to be held in Brisbane from October 20-25. At our exhibition booth we will be demonstrating our services which include ReDBox, Quadrant, SeeVogh, as well as our NeCTAR cloud and RDSI node facilities.
eResearch Australasia provides opportunities for delegates to engage, connect, and share their ideas and exemplars concerning new information centric research capabilities, and how information and communication technologies help researchers to collaborate, collect, manage, share, process, analyse, store, find, understand and re-use information.
For more information about QCIF’s services, please visit our website (www.qcif.edu.au). More information about the eResearch Australasia conference and registrations can be found here (http://conference.eresearch.edu.au/)
We look forward to seeing you there!
RDSI has published yet another story that highlights how researchers around Australia are benefiting from the new RDSI Node infrastructure.
Understanding how cancer develops
Colorectal cancer (bowel cancer) is the second most common cancer in Australia, and after lung cancer the leading cause of cancer deaths. One in 10 men and one in 15 women will be diagnosed with bowel cancer during their lives. Professor Robyn Ward, Professor Nick Hawkins, and the Molecular and Cellular Oncology group (MCO) at the University of New South Wales, study how this cancer develops and translate that understanding into ways of improving outcomes for people with cancer.
To read more, please visit:
CloudStor speed tuning
To make CloudStor+ run as fast as it does, we’ve had to put in place a few extra tweaks and boxes. A welcome corollary of those new systems is that the original CloudStor is now substantially faster – and the further away from Brisbane you are (where CloudStor lives), the greater the relative speed increase. Give it a whirl at https://cloudstor.aarnet.edu.au and let us know if you still need it to be faster (because we do have “even faster” versions in the works…)
All feedback welcome; get in touch with:
CAUDIT & RDSI Vendor Panel Videos
Come visit the CAUDIT and RDSI Vendor Panel channel on YouTube. This channel aims to highlight how vendor offerings can provide solutions for different customer environments. Potential clients watch vendor videos, learn about vendor projects, and acquire a better understanding of vendor solutions.
Vendor videos may cover topics such as Storage, Networking, Compute, Security, Physical infrastructure, Middleware, Applications, On Premise/Cloud, Security, and Identity and Access Management.
This channel will grow and evolve as vendors continue to submit content so stay tuned.
To view the VePa channel, please visit: http://www.youtube.com/user/CAUDITRDSI
A vendor contact list is available from:
About this newsletter
The eResearch newsletter is normally published the first business day of each month, and submissions are due two business days prior to that. Please send items to firstname.lastname@example.org. Each item should be no more than 150 words plain text, plus a link to further information.
To subscribe to the newsletter and to the eresearch-announce mailing list, please send a plain text message to email@example.com with the words subscribe eresearch-announce in the message body. (You can unsubscribe at any time by sending a plain text message with the words unsubscribe eresearch-announce to the same address.)
eresearch-announce List Moderator